"Meeting Alzheimer's is a relevant, accessible, and therapeutic program for Alzheimer's disease caregivers. The program's interpretation of Habilitation Therapy is fresh, innovative and inspiring." Lindsay Brennan, LSW, CMC, Executive Director, LifeCare Directions of New England
Meeting Alzheimer's: Learning to Communicate and Connect - for Professional Caregivers
In a way that is informative, inspirational, energizing and fun, this experiential workshop weaves together basic information about Alzheimer's disease, quality of life issues for persons with Alzheimer's and their caregivers, spirituality as a way to find meaning and healing in the face of an incurable illness, and improvisational theater exercises.
Meeting Alzheimer's focuses on being present, noticing and accepting what is, saying "Yes" and meeting persons with Alzheimer's or other diseases of dementia in their reality. Participants engage in exercises designed to increase their knowledge, enhance their awareness, open their hearts, relieve their stress, and heighten their understanding of the improvisational reality that defines Alzheimer's and other diseases of dementia.
This training breathes life into the process of Habilitation Therapy and teaches participants the skills author, Joanne Koenig Coste, describes in Learning to Speak Alzheimer's.
After attending Meeting Alzheimer's participants will be able to:
- Explain the symptoms and behaviors of persons with Alzheimer's and dementia.
- Identify various stages of Alzheimer's and describe appropriate ways to communicate and interact with persons with Alzheimer's at the different stages.
- Describe how to observe, listen and respond to persons with Alzheimer's and dementia in ways that preserve and promote self-esteem and improve quality of life.
- Explain how to reduce conflict, increase cooperation, and relieve stress for persons with Alzheimer's and dementia and those caring for them.
- Recognize and accept the limitations caused by Alzheimer's and dementia.
- Describe how to ease pain and confusion for persons with Alzheimer's and dementia and their loved ones.
- Demonstrate ways to make joyful and fun connections with persons with Alzheimer's and dementia.
- Notice the inherent worth and dignity and recognize the value found within all people, no matter how cognitively compromised they may be.
"I've attended hundreds of workshops and conferences over the years; Meeting Alzheimer's touched me on a deeper level than any conference I've attended. My co-workers who also attended the Meeting Alzheimer's workshop now have a special connection."
~ Dr. Janette Simon, Administrator, Guttenberg Care Center
This training meets the requirements for CEU's for nurses, nursing home administrators, CNAs, social workers, and speech therapists. In addition, Healing Moments programs meet the regulations for care center dementia training in states requiring this on-going training.
Meeting Alzheimer's reminds participants that in the midst of Alzheimer's disease there are TRUE MOMENTS.
"Hope is not about believing you can change things. Hope is believing that what you do makes a difference."
~ Vaclav Havel, Czech poet and statesman
For more information, or to schedule a Healing Moments program, please contact:
So those with allergies and sensitivities may attend in good health, all Healing Moments? programs are Fragrance Free.
Please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne, aftershave or scented care products.